Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Treasure-trove

This week I've gone home to the East Coast for a wedding and to see my family. 

A few years ago, my grandmother pasted away and left a house full of stuff. Everything from trash to treasure -- empty box and boxes full of stuff, tons papers and old musty books, photos and photo albums of ancestors, vases that you get when someone sends you flowers and very nice vases, plates -- but rarely a set, individual tea cups and saucers and on and on and on. 

As you most likely can see, it's a lot of sorting out the things worth putting aside from the things that need to be given (or thrown) away. But, there are some definite treasures to be found.

While I was home, I thought I would help my dad with cleaning process. Here are a few things I found worth a quick mention and photo.


*This beautiful Steuben crystal compote. I don't particularly remember this growing up but oddly enough a few weeks ago I saw this same bowl at an estate sale in Salt Lake and recognized it right away. Inside the original dust cover was a note from my grandmother with the date and explanation of the gift. It was nice to find the story with the bowl -- good idea for all of us. (Photo from rafa.com)


*I also found one Etruscan Majolica plate in a seaweed pattern. I love the colors -- muted green, pink, brown and gray. What little I know about majolica is it became popular in the early 1900's and was produced by all the major china manufactures. Today, the people that collect majolica like it because of the colors and subject matter i.e. fruit, flowers, marine themes etc. I thought it would look nice on a wall in my house grouped with a few other things. I'll post another picture as soon as I find the perfect place for it.

All in all, I like adding these great finds to my home. Not only do they bring in the old with new but they also add some family history. Growing up by the ocean, I especially like bringing a hint of the beach to my new house in the desert. 

- A

No comments: